HELP Fungus, whats the worst that could happen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pattgal, Aug 11, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I am suspecting fungus and cannot find any previous threads to read. what color is it supposed to be? (white or black)
    my roo's comb is 50% black. i did not think much of it because my roo is black, until i saw Lucy's comb has a speck of black on it too
    am i overreacting? could it be dried blood? Does anyone have any pictures of a normal comb and infected comb for refference
    if it is fungus what do i do, will monistat or minacosole (sp) clear it up? So many questions I know, its my first flock and I am really looking forward to those eggs
    another thing, if it is fungus what caused it????

2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    What breed is your Roo? I have a RIR and his comb shows black on the back 1/3 of his comb as well as a few black specks. I just thought this is normal. Does the comb look healthy?

3. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    he is an Easter egger. Its red black and bumpy. Though I don't know what it is supposed to look like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I really don't know much about EE but I know my RIR comb does go purple/black then back to red he does have black spots. Your Roo's comb doesn't look the same so I am going to give youa bump hope some one else can answer your question. Best of luck

5. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I'm by no means an expert but my RIR's and my EE's both get little black specks on their combs all the time? And they seem to be fine. I've tried washing them off, and they come right off, I don't know if it's dirt or maybe fly bites or little pecks? It doesn't seem to bother my chickens, but I'm interested if someone does know what it is?

6. Aimless Farmer

Aimless Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2007
    N. Central MA
    I'm certainly no Chickenologist, but his comb looks fine to me. I've had 4 Ameraucana/EE roosters total (currently have 1), and I don't see anything alarming about your roo's comb. Occasional black spots may just be a little blood from pecking or flies.

"Favus", a fungal infection, would show up as chaulky or waxy white spots/flakes. OTC antifungal creams, like miconazole, will take care of that. I don't see any white spots on your roo's comb, wattles or earlobes, however.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  7. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:Well that's a relief! thanks a bunch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by