HELP! Ganda ATTACKED BY DOG

Discussion in 'Geese' started by JACno1, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JACno1

JACno1 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Hello

I've just got back from a holiday to find out that my Ganda (age 2) was attacked by a dog, my husband witnessed it. one of the geese (the ganda's mother) was also attacked and really suffered and apparently was then someone near by who was at the scene ended her life to put her out of her misery. I think it was a very traumatic event. My Ganda's leg was damaged, he was seen by a vet - its not broken etc, he has been given antibiotics. Apparently he is much better than he was 10 days ago when the incident happen. I've been in to see him and he's standing in the corner with his leg up. When I go in he faces the corner but occasionally looks at me. He is eating some corn. My main concern is that he is traumatised. I have never seen him stand in the corner like that. He was once really badly beaten up by his father so we separated them and he healed quickly but then headed back to his parents, as they do. Anyway, is there any advice on how I can best look after him, rehabilitate him? He is currently separated from the other geese, on his own in his stable. We open the top part of the door in the day time so he has some light and apparently the other 2 geese (his father and a female I got for him) do go up to the stable. It might sound daft but I sang a song to him this morning because I think music will help. I've also wondered perhaps Rescue Remedy in his water (Bach Flower remedy).

I saw a thread that mentioned geese like vegetables and fruit so I am considering that. I also read somewhere about dextrose but our vet said we could do the same by putting sugar in his water.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He needs to be isolated from the others because he is poorly and his father would beat him up though I am wondering if we should put the female goose with him because maybe he doesn't like the isolation....

Thanks

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. JACno1

JACno1 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I cant thank you enough, that is so helpful. I had a feeling the sugar wouldn't be right.

Regarding the vegetables, maybe a silly question but should I cook these first otherwise I'm thinking he will struggle to eat it. I know the way they eat grass, its in small pieces at a time. Do you mush the apples?

Thanks so much.

P.S. antibiotics - I don't know why he has been given these maybe just in case. I only got back on Monday morning and I've had jetlag so haven't asked the full details. Only found out about this yesterday.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Make sure to chop lettuce etc up real good and offer grit if he isn't able to get outside and get it for himself. He can't chew his food with out grit. Hope he pulls through and starts feeling real good soon.

5. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi. Everything chooks4life said is spot on.
    Whose goose is the goose... I understand it to belong to your younger gander? I the goose is the younger gander´s goose, put her in there with him. He´ll improve much better with company, then replace the poor mother goose with another for the older gander. Strange the younger gander got got by the dog. usually the mated pair loses the gander due to it defending its goose, but not with yours. Sounds like your younger gander is a good bird.
    I hope he makes it.

6. JACno1

JACno1 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Good news. My husband let Gideon (young ganda) out yesterday and he merrily went to pasture with Martha (his goose partner - the surviving one). Yes youre right we def need to get Martha back with him. I gave him some apples last night and when I went in this morning he'd eaten most of that. I also gave him a bowl of water with some honey as suggested. This morning he stood in the corner again, like afraid of me so I sat in the other corner looking out the window and talking to him at the same time. Eventually he got up and moved across to his bowl (gave him some greens). I also bought a small radio for him and left him with Classic FM on. I came back a bit later and he was up and about and my husband said he saw him dunking his head the bucket of water - washing. This is really good news (he is hopping on 1 leg but that will take time to fix). A miracle has also happened. This morning I have found a 2 year old goose which I am picking up tomorrow to put with Gideon's father.

Why did the dog attack him? I think it might be because Gideon is a bit timid. The dog went for the vulnerable ones or perhaps Gideon was protecting his mother, I think it more likely that Gideon was totally freaked out (scared) because that is his nature. Despite is timidness he is a really wonderful ganda. He is sensitive and I think he's enjoying the music.

7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It does sound like the antibiotics were probably 'just in case'. Better safe than sorry though.

About the veggies, there are very few foods that are better for us cooked, and the same is true for animals. As much as possible I'd feed them raw, but probably minced or cut up if necessary. Nothing wrong with giving him whole chunks and letting him nibble, they are pretty good at chopping their food themselves, normally.

With the apples I generally smash them on hard ground so they can have at it easier.

As livininbrazil said, the goose should be with whatever gander she is bonded to.

About him being timid, that doesn't mean he didn't try to defend; perhaps the whole reason his goose is alive but his mother is dead is because his father didn't defend his goose but Gideon defended his own. Just a theory but as livininbrazil mentioned the ganders generally do defend their own geese.

I have a few cockerels now who are a bit skittish with me and anything scary in general, yet when it comes to the flock being attacked they are ready to defend; they're nice, fairly tame boys overall but you'd think they were fairly timid until you saw them defending. They're a work in progress, since they look like they're worth it at the moment.

Congrats on getting another goose! Hope all goes well.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows Ganda Doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by