Help!! Gape worm or Respiratory Infection??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outdoorzgirl, Feb 12, 2011.

1. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    Yesterday I took in a partially blind chicken from someone who keeps hundreds of chickens. She was born blind in one eye. They had contemplated putting her down because she is constantly picked on. On our drive home I noticed she kept coughing. When we got home I fed her and she ate 2 huge handfuls of food. She acted as though she was starving. Her cough seemed to get worse after eating and she kept moving her neck around as though she was having a hard time swallowing. I also noticed an odor coming from her. I have cats and to me it smells just like when a cat has a respiratory infection. This morning her crop was still full. I have her isolated and gave her a bowl of water. She probably drunk half the bowl of water (small bowl). I have never seen a chicken drink so much water in my life. She also seems to have a slight clear nasal discharge. I don't know what to do. Opinions?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I'd read up on impacted crop while you wait for some help from posters.
    I'd also withold food until you rule out impacted crop.

From what I've read, they can create an odor as the food sours.

I'd encourage you to edit your post title to include impacted crop, you might get more responses.

I recently inquired about gape worm, it doesn't seem very common, but you'll need help ruling that out.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you have her isolated and are practicing quarantine SOP. There is a far greater chance she has some chronic respiratory problem rather than gapeworm. Hopefully not Coryza! Your description of the odor has me concerned for your existing flock!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My first thought that came to mind was coryza. I'd cull whether it was coryza or not...too risky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by