Help- Garden Shed conversion help/opinions needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TcherDawn, Apr 15, 2009.

1. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I am getting 5 started pullets at the end of April and need a coop. I bought a Chick n Hutch, and the rain in just two weeks has made it start to warp, and the roof is pulling off. I am now in need of something easy and somewhat quick to modify. The hutch and run that comes with it was only meant for temporary, but it is going to be more temporary that I thought. ugh. I am looking at Home Depot's 10 x 10 Wooden Princeton Garden shed kit. Here is the link: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100350323&categoryID=502320
    If
    anyone has time, could they look at it and tell me what they think? I was ill advised by the farm store who sold me the Chick-n-hutch and would prefer to do this better this time. I am not handy enough to build my own coop. It will need to be some sort of kit. I also need some advise as to what modifications would be needed on that shed. I know I am asking alot, but if anyone experienced with this could help me, me and my future chickens would really appreciate it!!! Thanks! Dawn

2. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    -nest boxes
    -chicken door
    -roosts
    -windows maybe?

if you don't have a ton of chickens you might be able to make part of it for storage, that would be really cool!

like maybe the front half with the doors and wall off the back half & add a door to get in, collect eggs and clean it up. There is really so much you could do with that shed!!

i hope someone else replies with more ideas!

3. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I built my coop out of a shed similar to that. I put shelves on the back end and one of the sides. The shelves are about 18in wide. That is where they roost. I also cut a hole anout halfway inbetween the roof and floor. I have a ramp going from the floor of the coop so they can get out to their run.

4. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I would definitely add a window and a chicken door. DBF and I are converting an old woodshed (7' x8'). We installed one of the pre-done windows from Home Depot - EASY. Consider some ventilation near the top and a poo board for underneath the perches/roosts. Have fun. Working with power tools is empowering! - if you have to purchase just one saw, I recommend the "sawzall". Enjoy your pullets!

5. Kari

Kari Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I converted a garden shed. The footprint of it is basically the same, and the walls are shorter, but you can get the general idea of what i did. Take a look at my page all the pictures are there.

6. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I love the pics. Does anyone else have pictures of a garden shed conversion? I do well with pictures.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You will want to add extra ventilation; those things may (not always!) have adequate ventilation for storing shovels and wheelbarrows, but not for chickens which are just little moisture-and-ammonia factories. It is *amazing* how much humidity and poo fumes each chicken creates. I would not rely on built-in vents or even on windows and doors for ventilation; make something you can leave open even in the rain, even in cold weather. You'll need it [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I am just starting out with 12 little fluff balls in a watertank in my garage. The coop I am working on is a conversion from an old Hog feeder bin. I am SO SORE! Taking out the old bin from the building was ****. I added a people door on one gable end and a chicky door on the other. It already had a hatch in the roof and a window. I just added screens over them. What I wonder is why all the coops are off the ground? I sure hope I haven't crippled by old self for nothing. I daresay the best gift my hubby ever bought me was that power saw! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by