Help Gasping chicken. Injured from dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alaskanchicken, Jan 27, 2012.

1. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    My neighbors dog got into our chickens. My favorite hen got bitten on the back. She is now gasping for air. Other than that she is fine. She is almost two. Is not eating or drinking. This happened this afternoon. Is there any hope for her? Would it be more humane to put her down?

2. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    It is natural for chickens to go into a bit of shock. How long ago did this happen?

3. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    It happened about one. It is now five here. I am afraid that the dog punctured her lung. There is no blood. I couldn't feel anything abnormal. But she was wet from dog slobber where she was bitten. Right now she is by herself in our warm garage still really gasping.

4. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Is she standing? Do you have a heat lamp on her?

5. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    She is kind of crouched down. But she will stand. She is in our heated garage. Do you think I need a heat lamp on her?

6. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    Well she didn't make it.. I really think the dog either punctured or collapsed a lung. She was my favorite too. [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. There is not a thing you could have done to save her. I had the same injury in a duck this fall. I kept her alive for a week, but she also succumbed to her injuries despite all I did. Some things just can't be fixed.

So sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by