Help! geese are driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sunnydt, Apr 9, 2012.

1. sunnydt

sunnydt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Don't get me wrong I just adore these little cuties but the fact is they are no little anymore and I want to put them outside in a fenced area with a little house for them. The problem is that they are getting too big for the box they are in inside my house. They still don't have feathers and are about 4 weeks old. The temps here are in the 60's and 70's so would it be ok to put them outside now or should I wait till they ha e feathers?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    With those temperatures I think you should be able to put them outside. Just make sure they don't take a dunk in their water bowl right before night fall.

3. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ok great! The only other problem is that they cry and cry when I have left them out there just by walking away. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like they have imprinted on you, which means you are mama goose, try to spend as much time outside with them at first, then gradually cut it back as they begin to feel comfortable in their new surroundings. Make their new space feel secure too.

5. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Thank you guys so much!

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i know exactly how you feel! My oldest group of goslings, just a little over two weeks old, are getting so big! They are way too big for the hutch in the house. But the weather is not very consistent right now. When we have had nice days, we put them in our goose pen while the adults free-range. First couple of times, the adults screamed at them through the fencing and the kids peeped constantly. My husband spent some time sitting with them and they calmed down. They have definitely imprinted on my husband and i. They love when we spend time with them. Yesterday, my husband put our goats and adult geese in a pen while he ran around the yard with the kids. They loved chasing him. And just like little kids, all the exercise wore them out and they slept really well when they came in for the night. :)

While it's nice outside, like in the low seventies, they will go out for the day, then back inside at night. i can't wait for it to finally be Spring here so they can stay outside all the time.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    DITTO! But ours are a little under 2 weeks old, outgrowing the brooder box inside, are imprinted on us, can't go in with their parents safely yet and love the warm days outside with us. We just can't wait til it is warm enough to have them outside 24/7, and they can live happily and safely with their parents.
    Lisa

8. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    well its driving me nuts because they are out there, it is a beautiful day and they loved it when I was with them lol but since I left they have been pacing and crying like crazy. Its like leaving your kid at school for the first time. just breaks my heart :(

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Maybe give them a treat? Mine like romaine lettuce. When mine fuss outside I give them a head or two and it keeps them busy for a little while - a few moments of peace.

10. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    yes mine love romaine lettuce too! I heard they love apples but havent tried that yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by