Help! Geese attacking chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rainbirdfarm, Oct 22, 2015.

1. rainbirdfarm

rainbirdfarm New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Rainier, WA
    The last few weeks my geese have started attacking my other animals for no apparent reason. They aren't nesting, and there has been no change in their diet, routine, housing, or range. Anyone have any insight into this behavior? The goats and dogs ignore them, but the poor chickens are getting the short end of it. They aren't going after people, just the other animals. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Oh, no! It sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck with getting your geese to leave your chickens alone. I've never owned geese, but I always wanted to.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are your geese nesting somewhere? Regardless of the reason for their temper - the chickens deserve protection by way of a separate run. Geese can easily kill them.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Any chance you can separate them before one of your birds are injured?

8. rainbirdfarm

rainbirdfarm New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Rainier, WA
    They are all free range during the day over 2 acres. They separate themselves into their pens at bedtime. It's during the day that they are just ramdomly going after the chickens. Yesterday I noticed my flock leaders fighting each other also. Generally the only time I have observed this behavior is during mating season in the spring. I haven't seen any mating though. The geese can be kept in the back field during the day but the chickens go over the cross fence, pretty much anywhere they want... I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing odd behavior in their birds right now. I'm in North western Washington state if that makes any difference.

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by