Help geese falling over dead

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pidgey104, Jul 8, 2011.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I'm having a problem with some of my geese just falling over dead. what is going on?
    Lost my African hen today. just found her dead. nothing got her. now one of my young candian geese is dying. when you try to get him up he falls over like hes drunk.

I have been feeding them sweet feed and corn chops.
    they get fresh water every three days and lots of shade.

is there something that might be going around?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

It could be the corn fermenting in their crops try cutting out the corn completely and i never heard of feeding sweet feed but combine that with corn it's just to many carbs for geese IMO.

Also i use 50 gallon drumscut in half as waters for my birds and the gesse bath in them even though they have ponds to go to and i can tell ya i have to clean that water every day.
    Mine do great on flock raiser and foraging for grasses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps and your babies get better [​IMG]

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Are they doing it after you change their water ?

4. Tamilulu

Tamilulu Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Capron, Virginia
    Do you have a lot of snakes? I sometimes lose a momma to a snake who is coming for her eggs.

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I have a big tank for their water. One of those step 2 step kiddie pools about 8 foot by 5 foot. and about 2 foot deep.
    Their not doing it after I change the water. this is the frist time I had this happen and Ive had geese for around 8 years now.
    How old do geese live. The hen that die was around 8 years old.
    Everyone is not laying anymore. plus no problems with snakes.

Also its hard to let my geese eat grass. we are up in the sandhills of FL. all sand [​IMG]

We really don't have anywhere that sells all stock or Flock raiser. I was thinking about starting them on just 12% horse pellets. What do you think?
    Chicken feed to to high price to give to the geese since they eat around 5 gals of feed every 2 days.

Also do geese get worms bad? and can you use the liguid chicken wormer. I thinking of gathering them all up and worming them. How many CCs for a grown goose?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yes you can feed pellets to them. And yes they can get worms just like any other critter. You can use wazine its generally effective. If it doesnt work then use ivemectin. Just read the labels for dose reccomendations. I personally would use the Ivemect first as it will usually treat more worm species right off. A regular once a month dose should keep any parasitic issues down. During breeding season shorten that to every couple months.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear about your geese. Is there any chance that some of the feed developed a little mold?

Those of us who have grazing geese don't realize how lucky we are to have grass and weeds to supplement our birds' diet.

8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    scratch'n'peck :

I'm sorry to hear about your geese. Is there any chance that some of the feed developed a little mold?

Those of us who have grazing geese don't realize how lucky we are to have grass and weeds to supplement our birds' diet.

Don't any of it had a chance to get moldy. I think it might have rained one day. so food could haVE GOTTEN wet. but they finished it all off.​

9. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Sounds like it could be Botulism (from decaying plant or animal matter and or maggots freeding on it , or spoiled feed ; Or possibly fowl cholera. Geese can be poisoned by ferilizers, salt, lead, herbicides , pesticides, rat bait, vetch seed, conttonseed meal and leaves of tobacco and rhubarb, foxglove, potatoe vines, eggplant leaves.
    These can all cause sudden death.
    Even though my geese and ducks drink their water swim water , I also have 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon horse buckets with fresh water to drink out of. That way they have a choice. Hot dry weather often leads to botulism conditons..... Or say a dead rodent in a bag of feed ...that would be my guess....

10. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:Hmmm Not sure about any thing dead. Onless she picked up something out of the back pasture (If you wnat to call it that LOL)
    Forgot to mention The older geese are in a 3 arce pen which is out the back of the barn where the one hen died but the younger geese are in other pen that sits in front of the barn. I'm thinking he might have gotten waterlogged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by