HELP GET MAMA HEN AND HER DAUGHTER BACK IN THE FLOCK

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
While I’ve raised chickens for years, I’ve never had a broody raise a chick before. I now have a broody with a single female chick, that is now seven weeks old, partitioned off in the coop/run in their own space since the chick was about two weeks old. The entire flock has been able to see them during this time. Now trying to integrate them into the flock and finding that most of the hens are picking on the chick. They are not chasing her but do seem to be going out of their way to give her a good peck on the back of the neck. The rooster is just ignoring her.
Her mama has always been low in the pecking order and is not doing much to defend her chick. So far I’ve only let them all out to “free range” under observation. How long should I expect this process to take? I always use the “look don’t touch” method when integrating new birds into my flock. So even though they have all seen each other for over a month through the partition, it seems it might take longer in this case. Any advice would be appreciated.😊
844130DD-300C-4E3A-9069-B00C6C2B32FC.jpeg
57515467-86C2-4662-8216-84854ED911F1.jpeg
003BBCEA-40C8-4F14-A29C-B8D0A609A292.jpeg

I have read that chicks take on the pecking order of their mama, so if mama is lowest on the pecking order the chick would be too.

From what it sounds like, they are just teaching the chick manners and pecking order. If they aren't chasing it and/or severely bullying or drawing blood, I think that it might just take time.

You might consider doing a couple hours at a time and then put them back in their separate area--might be a little less stressful on everyone.

Also, chick is getting to the age of being weaned so that could be why mama hen isn't 'protecting' as much as you would assume to see.

I have a mama hen and 5 chicks that I just integrated back into the flock-first time broody and hens for me too. They aren't as old so mama is pretty protective still, but they do get an occasional peck on the back of the neck from older hens especially if they come up to one of the feeding stations and someone else is already.

Best advice I can give--slow and steady and extra feeders and waterers

I have read that chicks take on the pecking order of their mama, so if mama is lowest on the pecking order the chick would be too.

From what it sounds like, they are just teaching the chick manners and pecking order. If they aren't chasing it and/or severely bullying or drawing blood, I think that it might just take time.

You might consider doing a couple hours at a time and then put them back in their separate area--might be a little less stressful on everyone.

Also, chick is getting to the age of being weaned so that could be why mama hen isn't 'protecting' as much as you would assume to see.

I have a mama hen and 5 chicks that I just integrated back into the flock-first time broody and hens for me too. They aren't as old so mama is pretty protective still, but they do get an occasional peck on the back of the neck from older hens especially if they come up to one of the feeding stations and someone else is already.

Best advice I can give--slow and steady and extra feeders and waterers
Excellent! Thank you so much.❤️
Yes I am not leaving them with the flock currently just letting them out together and watching for about an hour at a time.😊
I figured that the chick was getting to be weaning age. When I do have them out, she wanders off to explore on her own like most teenagers!
I also have a newly hatched chick that I’m planning to put with a different broody, one that is very dominant in the pecking order. Will be interesting to see the difference this makes in their behavior.

I also have a newly hatched chick that I’m planning to put with a different broody, one that is very dominant in the pecking order. Will be interesting to see the difference this makes in their behavior.
This will be very interesting to watch--would love to know how it goes with the more dominant hen.

Good luck to both new chicks!!! and congrats!

If your other broody accepts the new chick, try integrating them when the chick is 1-2 weeks old, Mama will still be protective, and the chick will already be part of the flock by the time she weans it.

Back
Top Bottom