help getting 6 new full grown roos.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessaw1981, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chirping

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    hi everyone my father in law is going to pick up 6 new roos that someone doesn't want. he is giving them to me now my first words is what the fu&% do I need with 6 roos but none the less they are coming. so how long do I keep them seperated for is 2 weeks long enough ? I have a really good flock and don't want them hurt. thanks a bushel.

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    You are going to need to keep them quarantined for at least a month to watch for illness. Now as for introducing them into your flock... how many hens and roosters do you already have? There is a big risk of fighting when you throw 6 roos in with hens. I forget the exact roo to hen ratio that is good, but I wouldn't go more than 10 hens to 1 rooster. Otherwise your roosters will harm/kill your hens by "over-breeding" them and they will get too battered. I have 30 chickens and 2 roos and they all free range on an acre of land. I wouldn't dream of putting another rooster in the situation.

3. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chirping

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    yea I've only got about 12 hens I will prolly rehome them after I pick 1 lol. what do I look for as a sign of being sick.

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    There are other people that can be more help in this area, but you need to watch their stool and make sure it stays normal. Make sure they are eating and drinking well, and that their color stays good. I also watch for any coughing/sneezing. Be sure to check for lice/mites too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by