Help getting chicks to come?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heybarb, Jun 5, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    On Saturday, we added 2 new BO chicks to our flock that are about 8 weeks old. They were raised in a rabbit cage by an acquaintance. They are not scared of people at all and love to be handled. Those are the good things about them. The bad news is that while the rest of the flock comes running when I call them, they totally ignore me. When I shake a bowl of treats, the new chicks totally ignore me. When we offer worms and bugs, they eat them, but then totally ignore us when we offer the same bowl of bugs and treats a few minutes later. Being new, they have been pecked some by our flock (but not badly), and so they don't hang out with our flock at all. When I let everyone out of the coop, the two new ones just wander off on their own. Since they don't come when called or are offered treats, I have to keep my eye on them all the time. It's very frustrating. When we can't watch them, they are put up in the coop. Tonight I am planning to let them out just before dark, to see what they do as all the others head into the coop on their own. I am hoping they will free range a little bit, then head into the coop like the others. Then I won't have to worry too much about them, since I know they'll come home at dark, but still...I wish they would come!!

I also learned that at their previous home, they were fed a layer food - all seeds & corn - so it's not a "special" treat like it is for my flock. They are easy to catch, since they don't mind being held, but I really, really want them to come when I call them...

Any suggestions to get them to pay attention to us? To want to be around us?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Just go on feeding them treats, talk to them lots... Let them get used to you. They'll learn in time. Chickens can be a bit slow sometimes. [​IMG]

3. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    This is almost what my daughter said yesterday afternoon, except she wasn't quite as nice. Her comment was more along the lines "Wow, these two chicks are pretty dumb!"

4. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    That's not nice! Shame, they're still new. They'll learn. Chickens are actually very clever. I have a rooster here that I trained to come when we make a kissing sound. We used to do that when we had friends round. I'd call him, then my husband, then me... The roo would run between us like a tennis ball.
    Most of my chickens come when I call them, but it takes time. Just hang in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: