HELP GETTING VARIANCE FOR CHICKEN KEEPING

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Mommygirl1128, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Mommygirl1128

Mommygirl1128 In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2017
    Central Pennsylvania
    A close friend had to give away his hens due to a local zoning issue. Please join me in helping him to get his hens back. The fee for a variance is a lot of $$. His hens were is ESA's. Thank you!

www.gofundme.com
    :frow

Haleybo and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I sure hope your friend is able to win his flock back!

3. Mommygirl1128

Mommygirl1128 In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2017
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much! We are keeping our fingers crossed!:)

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Perhaps he should get a dog, as much as I like chickens it would be very hard on the CHICKEN to be an esa. A true ESA goes everywhere with the person, too much stress for a hen, or hens? How can a whole flock of chickens all be esa's? Hmmmm

Gary

Acre4Me likes this.
  5. Haleybo

Haleybo Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    Hi Gary, you may be thinking of a service animal that is protected under the ADA to accompany their owner anywhere. Emotional support animals are protected under the Fair Housing Act, but are not permitted to accompany their owner everywhere. Also, there is no limit to how many ESA's a person can have.

6. So someone with an esa chicken could force a landlord to allow a house chicken?

7. Haleybo

Haleybo Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    Yes, unless the accommodation presents an undue hardship for the landlord. And of course a house chicken would still need an outdoor coup.

8. No way would I allow a tenant to have chickens in the house, not even outside. I guess they would have to print out their internet Dr. note and sue me. There is a limit to what is right and wrong, and many have ruined it for the FEW who actually need it. When I google ESA the first page is all about getting an online Dr. note. Bogus.

RR

Acre4Me likes this.
  9. Haleybo

Haleybo Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    This guy had 4 hens on over an acre of property. That doesn’t seem unreasonable.

10. It is reasonable, just not legal where the person is. Looks like he has raised $600 so far.

Gary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: