1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! GIANT SCAB!!!! PICTURE ADDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Southern28Chick, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I went out to give the chickens bananas and notice my EE, Purdy, had feathers sticking up on the back of her neck on the right side right below her head. I picked her up and moved the feathers away and there is a giant scab. She didn't have this yesterday! There is a blob of what looks like blood but it's very small.

Is it possilbe for her to get hurt and it turn into a scab this fast? Could it be from my rooster? There's no feathers missing so I kinda think it can't be from the rooster because he's a feather yanker. What should I do?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I went out and looked at it again. The blob that looked like blood actually looks like a chunk of meat.

Anybody?

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Interesting. I have no idea, but I remember reading on the forum somewhere where a woman had noticed this big spot that was really gross looking. When she took a closer look, it turned out to be what she believed to be a ingrown feather. Do you think it could be anything like that? Or do you think something got a hold of her?

Stephanie

4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Could something have reached through your fencing and grabbed at her?

A picture would probably help the folks on here who can really help you.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I would get a really good look at it and see how deep of a wound it is. If it seems like it is minor, then what I've done in the past when a bird was grabbed by a raccoon, was to give it diluted, live-cultured yogurt several times a day, in order to fend off any infections. If it seems worse than that, you might want to take your chicken to a vet. Cleaning the wound would probably be good, but I don't know what is recommended for use on birds. Maybe hydrogen peroxide?

I hope it is something minor.

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    My camera sucks so bad I can't get a picture. I'll try though. It's hard to catch her.

I need to look up the ingrown feather thing. I actually though that when I first saw it.

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Here's a picture. It sucks sorry. What do I do? This is the first time I've dealt with a chicken wound. As I was taking the picture a tiny spot of puss started to rise out.

[​IMG]

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Could something have reached through your fencing and grabbed at her?

Only Colonel Bok Bok could have grabbed her.​

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Ok no responses on the picture. I called Dixie Trail Animal Hospital (thanks Wolfpacker for telling me about them). I told them my husband would kill me for taking a chicken to the vet.

The vet said to wash the infected area with antibacterial soap and peroxide for a about 2-3 days then just soap and water for a couple more days after that. She said neosporine (spelled all wrong) is not the greatest but would be ok to use. I might keep her in the house for a little while to...maybe, at least until DH comes home.

10. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Not sure if you caught my earlier post up there, because everyone was posting at once, but I further would recommend feeding her diluted, live-culture yogurt. I have tried this in lieu of antibiotics and have been pleased with its effectiveness. A wonderful avian vet recommended this to me. It will help her fight any nasty bacteria that might have gotten in the wound.

I hope she heals quick. I hear chickens are good at healing up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by