Help! Girls are getting pecked and it's getting cold!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cooley gypsum, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Cooley gypsum

Cooley gypsum Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    My barred rock and Rhode Island Red are ganging up on the silver Wyandotte and buff orphington among others. The Wyandottes upper butt, above her tail feathers is all skin. We have been putting salve, including that purple stuff on it to no avail. We duck taped the area when it first started, as well. Now it's winter and I'm afraid she's going to get frost bite of the butt?! What should we do. Of the 6 hens we have, only one, the barred rock is unscathed. All the others have some tail feathers missing or have sad looking tails... we thought it would get better, but hasn't. Please help! We are new parents and love these girls! I will attach a pic tomorrow, :-:)(

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How big is the coop and run?

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes - as long as your attaching pics, please add some of your coop and run setup.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If the barred rock is the only unscathed bird, she is the main culprit. You might try pinless peepers on her and anyone else who can't keep a civil beak. Pinless peepers prevent the bird from seeing straight ahead so their aim is thrown off and they are aggravated enough to not think about injuring another bird. You can put pinless peepers in the search for more information.

RIR are known to be aggressive.. When you have bullies, you also have to put out more feed and water bowls - because the meanies won't let the others eat/drink in peace.

5. Cooley gypsum

Mar 30, 2016
    The coop is 4x6 and the run is 9x9. We had to temporarily move them into a smaller space for a month or so, while we changed our town ordinance, but they are home now. Maybe it's too small?

6. Cooley gypsum

Mar 30, 2016
    That's good information. I've seen the pinless peepers on this site, but it seemed so silly. I guess I need to now seriously look at them. Argh?!

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just barely big enough. And Barred Rocks need a bit more elbow room than some other breeds. They also get bored easily and need to be kept busy, otherwise they can turn into trouble makers.

8. Cooley gypsum

Mar 30, 2016
    We've noticed that! We just put up three swing roosts to give them more to do. But don't know if they'll get into them or not! We let them out in the yard as much as possible... now that they are back at home maybe things will get better? I'll order some **** peepers...

9. Cooley gypsum

Mar 30, 2016
    We've noticed that! We just put up three swing roosts to give them more to do. But don't know if they'll get into them or not! We let them out in the yard as much as possible... now that they are back at home maybe things will get better? I'll order some **** peepers...

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Increasing the protein intake may help them grow some feathers, but they likely won't be back to normal until after molting. A pile of grass clippings, leaves, or hay can keep them busy for days. Feather picking that is caused by overcrowding stress can be very difficult to stop, even once adequate space is provided. It quickly becomes a habit, and chickens are creatures of habit. Watch the Barred Rock closely. If she continues to feather pick, you may just need to rehome her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by