Help! Giving chicks to a broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilyLovesBugs, Apr 4, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Today we got 2 3 day old chicks. They stayed in a box in my room with a heat lamp, we were going to give them to our hen that has been broody for about 6 days. We realized after we got the chiks that you had to seperate them from the flock. Tonight we moved Molly the broody to our old doghouse with a couple easter eggs. Than after about 20 minutes we took the eggs and gave the chicks to her, and she growled and tried attack them. How does one introduce them? I've researched it, but now I just don't know what to do. We moved her and gave her the chicks at nighttime.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She was likely growling and trying to attack you, not the chicks. Raise her up with one hand and tuck the chick under her with the other. You'll want to keep an eye on her and make sure she accepts them. You are right to do it at night, but make sure you use as little light as possible.

3. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Do you know how old the chicks can be? I have 3 broodies that have been sitting on eggs for a while. It doesn't look like the eggs are going to hatch. Its been over month. I want to give them some chicks. I was going to buy some locally using Craigslist so they would still be broody when I make the switch. There are 7-day old chicks for sale. Is that too old?

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I tried some 4 day old chicks with my broody hen a while back. She wouldn't have any part of it! I tried for a few nights. Ended up having to put her in a hanging wire cage to knock the broodiness out of her and keep the chicks in the garage.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't try with any chicks over a couple days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by