HELP: Goat ate a tube of Equi-spot

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wildsky, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm on the phone (HOLD) to a vet right now.

My stupid goat ate a tube of equi-spot - he chewed it up and spat out the plastic.

It contains 45% Permethrin, 33 % citronella oil, 21% other ingredients (petroleum distilate)

Whats going to happen to him? Should I be worried or ?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* How big is the tube?? In the same circumstance, you MIGHT also call poison control. Those folks are amazing. Give them the goat's weight and the product name and they MAY be able to calculate the toxicity, even though it's a goat-- they've helped with my dog and cat a couple times.

3. Siber_AK49

Siber_AK49 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Sterling, Alaska
    I agree with d.k call poison control, I've had an incident with one of my dogs and they helped tremendously and she was fine! I think they do require a donation that contributes to the Humane Society though, we paid I think $25.00? I may be wrong it's been a while but hope all goes well!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I managed to speak to a vet - it was the 800 number on the product.
    She said he might get aggitated or depressed. Worst case he could get some respitory issues, if he inhaled any of it.
    She had me feed him some hay (actually alfalfa) so help absorb whatever he got in his stomach. She said he might also have a little diarhea - and I should keep an eye on him for the next two days. Take him to a vet if his breathing is labored or strange in any way.

He's looking fine - trying to push a fence over [​IMG]

The tube was pretty small, like 0.35 fl oz - I don't understand WHY he ate it - that stuff smells SO strong.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Both pyrethins and citronella are derived from flowers-- maybe he needs a meadow romp to eat a bouquet or two???? Hope he does o.k. [​IMG]

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Not sure but dont think it will hurt him as the wormers we use are probably stronger than that. It might worm him but it sounds like he should be fine. I would watch him just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by