Help! Goat only letting them nurse on one side!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by friendlyearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Cody is nursing the kids no problem on one side, but not the other. We just milked the full side and she didn't like it much. Could she be sore or something?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had to milk bella out on one side a few times a day for several days at one point. I think it was mostly that the babies all started to nurse on one side and as the other side got more and more full, it was somewhat sore for her and harder for the babies to nurse that side. After several days of trying to keep her even, lol, the babies started to nurse more evenly.

3. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Quote:Ok, that is what I was hoping it was. We will try milking again later if it looks full. thank you!!

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Also if they continue nursing off that side I would use teat tape on the teat they are nursing to get them to nurse off the other side. Usually milking the side they dont nurse off takes the pressure off and they will find it really quick, mine did ...

5. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    She was kicking them off when they would nurse that side. We nursed her a bit yesterday, last night and this morning. Finally we got the kids to attach to that side this afternoon. We will milk her again tonight. Hopefully problem is solved!

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by