Help! Goat teat got cut and cant milk..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lozeaujo, Mar 13, 2018.

1. lozeaujo

lozeaujo In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2017
    I need some advise. My goat that I milk twice a day, somehow cut her teat really badly right in the spot I need to milk her. I washed it clean and put antibiotic cream and butterfly bandage and another bandage on her teat. She of course got them off. I can not milk her because the cut is so bad and deep. I am worried about the milk building up inside if I dont milk her daily. Any words of wisdom on what to do for her cut? or in regards to milking her teat?
    thanks

Abriana likes this.
  2. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Can you call a vet to stitch it up?

Cyprus likes this.
  3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    x2 call a vet. If it that bad and deep, I think it will need to be stitched.

4. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    That goat needs to be milked. You can get a box of disposable teat cannulas. You clean off the end of the teat with an alcohol swab and insert one and the milk with drain out. Better yet, see if the vet can give you an indwelling cannula. This one stays in and the milk drains out constantly. Since the milk is washing out all the time bacteria will not cause an infection. By keeping the pressure on the teat and udder relieved it will have a chance to heal. Your best bet is to have the vet stitch up the teat and insert an indwelling cannula.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: