HELP..GOATY goat MILK!! :(

midwestmilkmaiden

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I have 2 Toggenburg does that I milk. I've been making chevre with the milk and a few others.. my family, especially my 2 young daughters will have nothing to do with the milk or cheese. I must admit , I don't even care for the milk, it does have a very distinct flavor! I made a mozzarella yesterday and it was... TErrible! Consistency, Good... Flavor... like the barn!
So, I'm wondering.. what am i doing wrong. Yes, I chill it very quickly! Healthy goats, healthy living space. THe buck is on our property, but far away. I've heard that Saanen goats don't have a goaty flavor in their milk???? Any answers , suggestions very welcome!! I'm starting to become a bit disheartened!
Oh... also wondering about sheep's milk.. How's that taste???
Thanks.

I don't know a thing about goats, but i thought goats milk was supposed to be so good??? I will bump you up here and see if someone can answer you,..Id like to know too,..Im thinking about getting some goats too, if its that bad I will go with a cow. Good luck!

Toggs are known for having strong milk, if I remember right.

Most of it comes down to what they eat, though. What are you feeding? Do you allow them to browse?

My girls are on pasture all day... 2 scoops of grain while I milk and some mixed grass/alfalfa hay in the evening.

The pasture is what's doing it, IMO. We keep our milkers on a dry lot so we can make sure they get nothing except alfalfa and grain, and clean hay. Weeds and grass will make the milk taste off.

I have yet to try goat's milk that didn't taste like goat.
sickbyc.gif

yuckyuck.gif

That's exactly what my daughters' faces look like after trying anything goat milk related!!
sickbyc.gif

No pasture, huh????.. That seems like no fun for the goats!
idunno.gif

It would be awful hard for me to restrain them from the pasture!! I was planning on reseeding the pasture this fall with some better stuff for them.. I thought I had read somewhere that certaing pasture seed mixes make their milk sweet???

Back
Top Bottom