1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help: goose's back feathers damaged

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Skytopz, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Skytopz

Skytopz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My goose's back feathers are very disheveled and seem to have been chewed on I can't tell if she's doing it to herself or if one of the other gooses is doing it to her. my gander did just start Mating with both of my females could that be the cause? only one of the two females has feathers like this. any help would be great I can tell it's bothering her she keeps trying to Preen them

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most likely damage from the gander not intentionally but from using his feet to hold one while mating. you might want to just keep an eye on things with breeding season starting up everyone gets grumpy especially the ganders but sometimes the girls can have a go at each other too.

Welcome to BYC.

3. Skytopz

Skytopz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for the advice :) i will watch everyone to make sure they behave. So far no problems with grumpy ganders, hopefully it stays that way!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Forgot to say how pretty they are in your Avatar, would love to see more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by