Help-gosling got ahold of a 24" string!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by quinault, Feb 21, 2013.

1. quinault

quinault Out Of The Brooder

Ok, one of my week old goslings pulled a string through the pen fence and ate it before we could get to her. It was at least 24" long. What can I do other than just wait and see?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats alot of string inside that goslings crop, is there anyway you can get it to a vet. I would be worried about impacted from it, how big around was the string? have you tried to look down inside it's throat to see if you can see any of it? might be a way of getting hold of it and pulling it out if you could see it. Hopefully some one with experience will be here shortly. [​IMG]

3. quinault

I got about 8' of it out but the rest went down. I gave vegetable oil and now we are waiting. Fingers crossed.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you mean 8" lol, and have you seen any more of the string? like laying around in the poop? and how is the gosling acting? make sure it has plenty of water which will also help keep things moving. Updates when you can please.

5. quinault

Ok, starting day 3 and she is acting fine. Have not found any string in poop, but they have a large area. (Yes, I meant 8" LOL.) She has stolen my heart already.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for update, how does her crop feel? is it squishy or hard feeling just some guesses on where it may still be, but hopefully she has passed it by now. Her crop should be full in the eveing and small and mostly empty in morn. but your probably feeding 24/7 so you may not see a completely empty crop in the mornings.

7. quinault

So far so good. She is emptying her crop-I pulled the feed overnight and it was empty this morning. And she is acting fine, eating drinking and getting around as normal. Do I need to worry about intestinal obstruction too?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This is day 5? is she eating and pooping with out problems,if she is pooping normal like a gosling should, then I'd say she is most likely out of the woods.
    But now you have to post some pics of your goslings it's a law if you post on BYC.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by