HELP!! Got duckling from RK & it cannot keep its head up! Pretty lathargic as well!

CrazyChickenLady136728

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2019
Hi everyone! I just purchased 2 ducklings from RK & right after I got them home one I noticed one of them couldn’t keep their head up! It’s always tilted to the side and he kind of runs in circles! I feel so bad for him & I would like to do anything I can to help so he doesn’t die!! Ive read that I should give him Nutri Drench right away but I’ve been reading articles online all night and I cannot find anything about how often or how much to give my duckling of the Nutri Drench?! I read on some other threads that I can give a few drops in the mouth but how often should I do that? Every day until he’s better? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

It sounds like it might have wry neck - the head not being able to be held correctly and the running in circles are both symptoms. Nutri Drench is the way to go, since it's caused by a nutrient deficiency. I would put some in the water, and also give the duckling several drops directly into its beak every day. Just make sure you let the duckling swallow it on its own so that it doesn't aspirate.

I have used Nutri Drench to successfully treat wry neck in a duckling before. You could also use Vitamin E from a drug store, since it's usually a vitamin E deficiency that causes this. Be aware that treatment can take a long time, weeks or longer, so don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away.

What feed are you using for them?

It sounds like it might have wry neck - the head not being able to be held correctly and the running in circles are both symptoms. Nutri Drench is the way to go, since it's caused by a nutrient deficiency. I would put some in the water, and also give the duckling several drops directly into its beak every day. Just make sure you let the duckling swallow it on its own so that it doesn't aspirate.

I have used Nutri Drench to successfully treat wry neck in a duckling before. You could also use Vitamin E from a drug store, since it's usually a vitamin E deficiency that causes this. Be aware that treatment can take a long time, weeks or longer, so don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away.

What feed are you using for them?

That’s what I was reading also! I hope it will be okay! I was feeding what RK was feeding them, DuMor starter I think it’s called!

That food is made more for chicks than ducklings; it probably didn't cause the wry neck, but better to get them on something that works better for them if you can :) Do they sell NatureWise feeds there? If so, they have a feed called Meat Bird that is made with ducklings in mind that is formulated to have better nutrition for them. Or if they don't have that feed specifically, a flock raiser feed will do. And if they have none of that, you can keep on with the DuMor, but also make sure you're supplementing with niacin too, just in case. Brewer's yeast added to the feed, or some other niacin supplement added, just to make sure they don't develop leg issues.

Better to get this little one on a food that is as nutritionally sound as possible, since it can only help :)

Last edited:
That food is made more for chicks than ducklings; it probably didn't cause the wry neck, but better to get them on something that works better for them if you can :) Do they sell NatureWise feeds there? If so, they have a feed called Meat Bird that is made with ducklings in mind that is formulated to have better nutrition for them. Or if they don't have that feed specifically, a flock raiser feed will do. And if they have none of that, you can keep on with the DuMor, but also make sure you're supplementing with niacin too, just in case. Brewer's yeast added to the feed, or some other niacin supplement added, just to make sure they don't develop leg issues.

Better to get this little one on a food that is as nutritionally sound as possible, since it can only help :)

Back
Top Bottom