help....got up to 117° is there any hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunflowerlady, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sunflowerlady

sunflowerlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    This morning when I turned my eggs at 830 I turned my fan off in my homemade incubator and I forgot to turn in back on before I left. So when I got home and turned them again at 1230 the temp had risen to 117° this is my first ever hatch and I don't know if they are going to make it. When I opened it this morning the temp was 99° and has been holding really well between 99°-101° I'm very worried that I just killed them.
    Oh I set them on Monday 3/12 if that makes any difference

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

it really depends on how hot it got INSIDE the eggs... if they are light colored chicken eggs candle them on day 7 and see if you see any veins.. then you'll know for sure

3. sunflowerlady

Jan 11, 2012

Will do. Thank you! I was actually wondering if it had anything to do with the temp inside the egg. I almost candled as soon as I saw the temp but I prob wont be able to see anything....

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

well.. if you wait until day 7 you will know for certain if they are alive or not.. some people can see veins on day 4.. but it's not fool proof.. sometimes you can't see a darn thing on day 4 yet still have perfectly good eggs..

so for chicken eggs that are light in color I check them on day 7.. if they are darker shelled I candle on day 10

5. sunflowerlady

Jan 11, 2012

Day 7 seems like its an eternity away!! But as a first timer it's probably best. I have brown eggs so hopefully they won't be too hard to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by