1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! GQF 1202A- Need wiring help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedRoosterFarm, May 8, 2011.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Gosh, I am going crazy, Does anyone have a GQF 1202 A they are not using? I need some pictures of the wires in the back. I replaced a light but something still is not working and the GQF site that has a diagram sucks(to me) I can ot figure it out for the life of me.
    Is anyone in Washington State Tacoma area who might be able to help me? My eggs are just waiting to go in and my other GQF is packed. Im pulling my hair out!!!Im willing to pay but I jsut want to get it going.....PLEASE HELP!

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    what is not working?

3. RedRoosterFarm

a few months ago it started to drop heat after a few days and take for ever to get it set again and then it would spike...well then I noticed that the heat indicator light was out. I called GQF. They said replace the snap switches. I had done that 4 months ago. I bought the whole unit the snap switches and hardware and waffers and figured just replace it all. That did not work. I just today replaced the red heat light andit didnt help. Its a ball of wires in the back and is frustrating me to no end. I thought if I saw a picture maybe I could see if something got wired wrong. GRRRRRR

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    You do have two thermostats on that model, right? If your temperature spiked, you did not have them both set correctly.. and that also might be why your light is not working..

5. RedRoosterFarm

I just pulled the front thermostat waffer off to set the back to 102 but it wont go hotter than 70 and it took 5 hours to get that warm. I have 2 gqfs and they have been awesome for years and the last few months, this one has been a pain. I guess I will open the back of the full one to see if I can compare them. I thought there might be a short somewhere but cant see anything disconnected in the bad one.....

6. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    by snap switchs, I assume you mean the micro switches that the wafers control ?

If it takes that long for the temp to come up, I would question the heating element..

without being there I cannot tell you what to do with the wires..

I guess I would try to trace each circuit from the plug in cord on individually.. You probably have done that..

7. RedRoosterFarm

Last night I got home from work and went out and thurned the full working bator around and opened it up and put it side by side with the non working one. I followed each wire. After almost the last wire I saw what looked like a wire up and over the back of the fan. I followed it and it dead ended so I followed the good one and it hooked to another wire. YIPPIE!!!! I connected the wire and closed up both and started the bad one. In 3 minutes it went from 66 to 76 and in an hour I had it at 100. I set it and just checked on it. Its at 100.3 and didnt go past that or lower than 99.7 at all last night so I am on track. Thanks so much everyone. Oh and the snap switch is the switch that the wafer control hooks to. GQF calls them that. I do want to find someone who I can pay to clean out both bators and rewire them.
    Quote:

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.. the wires are working.. they might look a mess, but they are out of sight.. go ahead and hatch some eggs..

9. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    Yea I don't see any reason to rewire them if they are working good. Just my opinion. Glad it's working for you now, wonder how that wire got unplugged

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by