HELP!!! GQF SPORTSMAN PROBLEMS!!!

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I have a GQF 1500 - something or nother hatcher that a friend has let me borrow. It is just the hatcher, no turner. It has a thermostat wafer inside and a little black box which I believe is an electronic thermostat.

I just plugged it in for the first time and I am not getting any heat. The wafer is making contact and I can hear it clicking as if it is trying to turn on, but the heating strip is not coming on.

I have the electronic thermostate all the way up, and I have the wafer touching, but still nothing.

Where else could I be having problems?

The wafer is just a back up for the electronic thermostat. Open the wafer so it makes no contact and see if the electronic thermostat kicks on. All of them that I have seen have a light that comes on when the thermostat is calling for heat and goes off when up to temp. The light should flash when it is getting close to temp. You could have a bad wafer which means it isnt making contact until you screw it in all the way and that would happen when the hatcher is still quite cold.

The after should be adjusted to come into play only if the thermosat fails. It should be adjusted to kick off just when the thermostat kicks on. It would be hard for me to beleive that you have both a bad thermostat and a bad wafer and there is really very little to go wrong with the element although I suppose that is a possibilty

I screwed the wafer all the way in and turned up the electronic thermostat all the way up. Nothing.

Then I unscrewed the wafer all the way so that it wasn't touching and turned up the electronic thermostate, and nothing.

Its been in storage for over a year so there isn't any telling. I think the electronic thermostat is shot myself....

Meanwhile, I plugged in the GQF 1202 that I borrowed along with the hatcher.

Along this same line... I have an older 1500 GQF and I just replaced my old wafer with elect thermostat. Temp is perfect @ 100 deg. but even after getting up to temp. the indicator light flashes. Is this a indication of another problem or? Im worried that this off and on will wear out the whole system.
Thanks

Hmm should not do that. I had good luck talking to a guy at Randall Burkey about some of my issues. I rebuilt a Sportsman and he was very helpful. Gotta wonder if you have some loose wires. When I rebuilt mine I hinged the top so I could get to all that stuff up there..

They are very reliable pieces of equipment I would be frustrated also. I would love to hear what the issue is after you resolve it.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom