HELP! Guineas exactly 1 week old, lost two last night, one more not going to make it either

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by LogCabinChicks, Jul 31, 2014.

1. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chirping

May 3, 2014
    I'm not sure what is happening...they don't look ill, except for now. I fed them yesterday they were all doing great. I got up at 5 am and one had died, an hour later, a second and now my husband says a third one is going.

They are on game starter, not medicated though like I used for my chicks. They are under a heat lamp and in my living room so no cold drafts.

What can I do?

Thank you!

2. Crownpointchick

Crownpointchick In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    Strafford, NH
    Hi,
    I have had two completely random deaths as well. Fine one minute, then gone the next time I went in. I have heard they are delicate creatures, and I am finding this to be true. I hope someone can offer advice because these seem to be much harder to raise than my chickens.

3. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    I havent had a problem with my two week old keets, there lively and full of energy i give them a health check every day twice a day and they wiggle and scream like all keets do. Young keets need to be kept warm at least 95 degrees for at least 5 weeks or so or they can die they come from africa so cold weather is not good for them. [​IMG] Sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I bought 10 in early June and lost 3 in first 2 days. I lost 4th about 3 days latter. I was beside myself.

We had them in a spare bedroom. And decided they were so skittish and just wanted to die. We stopped looking at them. Just changing their water and fed as needed. ( when we looked, we looked fast from a distance) The other 6 are doing great. I have them in a tractor with 6 chickens ( trying to acclimate them to chickens)). They are doing good and have even got less skittish since they got the chickens for friends.

I am almost ready to let them free range, BUT I think they could runaway then. I tried Guineas before and they all ran away within a week.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    How are your keets doing?

6. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chirping

May 3, 2014
    Sorry, for the long break, its been quite a busy summer. I was away on business when we lost all but 1. (I've been CANNING ever since! What a bumper year!)

The 1 Keet has been growing and boy is he noisy. So last Sunday I decided to put him in the CC Only chicken coop/run that I have and I put him by the chickens so he can get acquainted. We we ended up naming him Norman-- Norman Bates. That bird is psycho! All he would do all day long is chirp and pace, he actually made a track in the grass by the edge of the big run/his little run.

So... yesterday, I felt really bad for him. He really really wanted to be with the chickens! So...I put him in with the chickens. He immediately calmed down and seemed down right happy! I swear he had a smile. He just walked around that run like he owned the place...but, Mr. Roo and some of the hens didn't like him at all. We watched for about a half an hour and went in and caught him (OMG--took forever! He's a fast little bugger!). We took him to my friends house that had 8 Keets (we bought 16 together-he only had 3 left) and put Norman inside. It was a amazing. No pecking, no squawking. He just fit right in...ran right over to the guinea's trying to hide and hid under them. [​IMG]

I guess I'll buy adult Guinea fowl when I am ready to try again. It was heartbreaking to loose so many at once and then after a month to give Norman away, but he is happy--oh so very happy now. And probably deserves a new name...he's not psycho, he was just lonely. [​IMG]

Guinea's are definitely NOTHING like raising chickens.

7. bibi123

bibi123 Hatching

Nov 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: