Help, had to eggs away from guinea hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myron60, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Myron60

Myron60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Dunlap, TN
    My guinea hen as been sitting on 20 eggs for awhile now and today she flew off the nest with an egg in her mouth. When my wife went to check it out there was a chick hanging out of the egg and pecked all over the head. She took the remaining eggs and put them in the incubator. I just candled the last 19 and 18 having moving chicks in them with large air sack like shown for 18 days. I have my temp set at 99.5 and trying to maintain 75% humidity until they hatch. I am considering this as lockdown time. Is this correct and does anybody have any suggestions, because I would hate to have 18 good eggs and none hatch because I did something wrong. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for a great website and for your help.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have any idea how long she's been sitting? Guinea eggs take 28 days to hatch like ducks, not 21 like chickens, which means lockdown is at day 25. However if they look really far along and you actually saw a keet in one of the eggs it might be lockdown time. Humidity of 65%-70% is good for lockdown. I don't think 75% would hurt. If you knew when she started sitting it would be better, although stopping turning them a little early won't hurt anything, so as long as it's close to hatch time, I would say you're doing good so far.

3. Myron60

Myron60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Dunlap, TN
    Thanks, I had forgotten about the difference in time. It has been close to 3 weeks since she started sitting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by