Help! Had to help Chick out, What's this green Gunk? Pics!

kelseygirl707

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Lakeport, Ca.
So I was using the Egg carton method for hatching, and I was hearing alot of chirping, but none of the eggs looked pipped enough for the chirping to ba as loud as it was, so I used a flashlight and looked at each egg carefully (Through the window), and I notice one Chick had pipped the wrong way, and was attemping to zip, so I quickly grabbed the egg and layed it on it's side, but for the next 24 hours, the chick didn't do anything, I could see it's beak move once in a while, but it seemed to be in a position where it couldn't zip anymore. So after 24 hours I helped it a little, but it still seemed unable to move, and the membrane was beginning to dry, so I carfully removed all of the egg and membrane, the chick is now drying in the incubator, but I'm curious, The Chick had globs of green stuff on it, some on it's head, and some on it's body, what is this stuff, is it left over yoke that had begun to spoil, I didn't notice a smell. This is my 3rd hatch, but I've never seen green stuff before?

24137_green_gunk.jpg

Last edited:
mmmm...I'm not really sure...?
idunno.gif
Just thought I would bump this up for you!
How's the chick right now? Is he/she walking around and chirping? Just make sure he/she is not acting sick or lethargic.
Good luck!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom