Help had to rescue a chick that hatched and had to open the bator

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chee65, Sep 20, 2012.

1. chee65

chee65 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    One of the two chicks that hatched tonight got stuck under the screen mesh floor. He was completely under it. So we had to open it and quickly rescue the chick and we quickly put wet paper towels on the edges..The humidity dropped to 55 degrees but we quickly got it backup again. Will the eggs that have pipped be alright?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    keep it closed I hope it will be ok !

3. chee65

Aug 26, 2012
    Okay, the eggs that pipped hatched. Yay!!!![​IMG] I was so worried. We now have 4 little chicks in the bator. This is so exciting. We still have 5 that have not hatched, but tonight will mark the 21st day so maybe they are just waiting for their time. I was so surprised that the 4 hatched on the 20th day.

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Yay! [​IMG] Yes some can come early ,some comes very late ! congrats !![​IMG]

5. chee65

Aug 26, 2012
    Okay, we now have 6 new baby silkies in the incubator. [​IMG] Not bad for shipped eggs. That gives us a 50% hatch rate from shipped eggs. We believe that only 1 more has the possibility of hatching. The other 2 eggs just looked a little different when we last candled them. Although they had veins still. I will give them another couple of days. We get to put the ones that hatched last night into the brooder tonight. Brooder is all ready to go. ACV water is ready. Will get chick starter with probios in their when the chicks go in. All of them are white. I thought that with whites you can't be sure you'll get whites. So far they are all looking like they will be white. Sorry for blabbing, guess I'm just excited.

Chicken coop is now on order.

6. chee65

Aug 26, 2012
    whoops just noticed that I did not post this in the right area. Is there a way to move it.

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

LOL, how dare you post in the wrong section! LOL, well It is good to see that your chicks did hatch ok. AND a 50% shipped eggs hatch rate is really good! Got pics?

8. chee65

Aug 26, 2012
    I'm afraid to take pics right now. Because I can barely see them in the bator and I'd need a flash. I'm afraid the flash will bother them too much. Newbie fears i guess. I will post some pics as soon as I transfer them to brooder. One chick still has a piece of shell on it's back do I need to remove it. It's about the size of a dime. The other chicks are pecking at it now and then. I now have a 7th egg pipping, actually he is almost out of the egg. yay!!!!

9. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    the shell will come off, let the others peck on it, they cant hurt her ! I know the feeling about pictures ! I think mine came out good with out flash ! try it! maybe put a lamp next to it might show up ! Enjoy them !

10. chee65

Aug 26, 2012
    [​IMG]
    The were following the light.

[​IMG]

The find the light entriguing

[​IMG]
    This is the one with the shell on his back

[​IMG]
    A little bit dark

[​IMG]