HELP! hairline Crack across air cell of duck egg.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjtrucker, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jjtrucker

jjtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Just checked the eggs in my duck's nest, that are due to hatch on Monday. One of the eggs has a big Crack across the air cell. The Crack is not all the way through to were the shell is cracked open so I guess you would call it like a hair line crack. The duck is still alive and moving in the egg. Should I leave the egg in the nest or move it to my incubator so I can monitor it? I have a hen that keeps sneaking in my duck's nest to lay eggs and I'm wondering if that is how it got cracked. If it gets hit or something it will probably crack all the way. What should I do?

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Sorry I'm no help but I want to know the answer.
    I've heard of wiping a crack with a piece of wax, like a candle, but don't take my word for it until someone with some real knowledge chimes in.
    Personally I wonder if that band-aid liquid skin would work? Its highly stinky so it might do more harm than good. Toxic maybe. Curious if anyone has tried it.

3. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    If you have nail polish, put a good layer of nail polish on it. Allow it to dry before putting it back. This has worked many times for me

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Nail polish! Awesome!

5. jjtrucker

jjtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG] 8 moved it to my incubator because the air cell is really big and I'm thinking it has lost a bit too much moisture.

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow, that's a pretty large fracture! I think taking it inside is a great idea. Even though we can see that you have some awesome fingernail polish! Lol
    Best of luck with it!

7. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Happy to help! It's worked for many candling drops, and let's hitting the incubator! Keep us updated!!

8. MacCana

MacCana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    I used candle wax on 3 cracked eggs. I candled tonight at lockdown, and 1 out of those 3 is still alive,meaning the crack was sealed before a lot of bacteria could get in and cause an infection.
    This is the first time I have used wax, but this is also the only time I've had a cracked one not be claimed by infection. So I'm going to stand behind wax for now.
    Do you have a little scent warmer that you buy the little pack of scented cubes for?
    Thats all we had and I was freaking out so I dipped the cracked areas right into the wax on the warmer. I dried it and dipped it 2 more times to make layers of wax.
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by