1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help half blind chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GD91, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

Had a 6/6% hatch from postal eggs . The hatch was artficial A.K.A I made a hole at the end of the egg & left them to wiggle out when ready.
    One of the chicks has a deformed skull & is on the small side. It seems to be missing an eye and where the eyes bulge should be is completely flat. His bill is also slightly overshot and crooked underneath. His other eye seems like the eyelid is being pulled up & back so the opening is small.
    The chick is a pet, does anyone know what care he may require to assist him and will he be able to live outdoors free ranging part time?
    He is otherwise very perky & loud. He does get stuck on his back, but then he's under 12 hours old. He's in the brooder with the others ( who are large and perfect) and luckily they don’t bully him.
    I have already warned my husband that the chick may need to be filled, but I always like to give a fighter a chance.
    I knew there was a risk of getting a deformed chick, but I am at home 24 hours a day to deal with it, so deal with it I shall.. .
    Fag & brew whilst I wait... Don’t let me wait too long gang...

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello there,
    When I heard the phrase 'fag & brew' I knew I had to reply!![​IMG] I'm a misplaced Brit here in the States - love it (& chickens)! Whereabouts in UK are you?
    Anyway, to your special needs chick - if s/he is eating & drinking ok, I don't think you are going to have too much of a problem. I would closely supervise any free-ranging since he will only have 50% vision & the local neighborhood cat usually can't resist something small & fluffy........ perhaps a small chicken tractor?? On the other hand, if you decide to keep him indoors, chicken diapers (nappies) will be number 1 priority!
    I think you & chickie will do fine, you're determined & he will be spoiled rotten, Sue

3. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK

Well it seems he can see out of the 1 eye. He stays on the spot and spins to look around , its really cute. Its my last hatch (Otherwise hubby's gonna blacklist the inky) and it was the first time I had ever artifically hatched chicks. I've had 6 hatches, only 3 were successful and this time I did loads of research on the whole development and hatching process. Armed with that information, like where the veins first recede etc Signs to stop etc I managed it.
    It took 3 week's of study , but it went really well and the chicks were much more energetic afterwords than my previous hatches.
    Artificial incubation, so artificial hatching. My aim wasn't whether it was right or wrong, it was about helping the chicks out of an unnatural situation caused by me. I am so glad I did it because they are lovely , I’ll have to get a pic up.
    :)
    I wouldn't expect anyone to agree with it, their welfare is my priority though. It was really complicated to hatch health chicks incase anybody was wondering, I wouldn't reccomend it without careful observation and studies and also time on their hands. Like, 3 days! And nights! :)

4. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Woke up this morning and he's standing. But when he tried looking for food he used his beak like a blind man's walking stick.
    Then when I was cleaning them out. I let them on the floor. He walked into the table, the edge of the sofa, the fireplace. Picked him up and examined his one eye & it seems the skin does not open enough , so only 1/3 of his pupil is visible & there is little response to light or very close movement.

He responds to sound & touch... is there any hope of him living outside in a small enclosed garden?
    Or is it destined to live indoors?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Wipe his eye area with a warm wet cloth to fully open eyelid,he may have an eye infection starting.

6. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Tried it, nope. .. the eye is deformed to. Looks like it was lucky it didn't go the same as the other eye.

Its been attempting to eat and had a drink, but it's really noisy unless you remove the others, which I'd rather not do.
    So one eye didn't develop and the other only partially.
    He's actually quite hyper, but no way will I be able to intergrate him with my current birds, he's too vulnerable.
    Was sadly considering drowning it in warm water this morning, but as long as it continues to thrive. .. need to choose it a good friend .
    :)

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Explain deformed? Are you sure it isn't an eye infection in the nictitating membrane? If you choose to cull,try something besides drowning.

8. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Basically the eyelid did not form properly.

Its there but small, where the rest of the eyelid should be there is just skin. So it's like only part of the eyelid has formed to open, if you get me?
    The rest is fused together.

9. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

10. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Got it eating & drinking better, gave it some sugar water. Looks like it's getting handreared . Not my first time, I'm used to sick and injured animals. 2 months ago we had a gull in the living room, but that's another story :) and I've handreared baby rabbit's & field mice etc

He's snuggled under the heat lamp & is really cute, despite his , erm , circumstances.He likes being picked up, stroked & talked to. Bless.

Aaaahhhh.... what a sweetie.. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by