HELP half duck eggs were eaten, how can i save the rest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ktrayn, May 5, 2017.

1. ktrayn

ktrayn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2016
    A little female duck ive been feeding for about 8 months laid some eggs a week ago across the street from my house under my neighbors bay window. Her mom was basically a throw away someone left in the pond beside my house. Anyway her Mom amd the other babies grew and left the pond but this sweet girl stayed. Im very protective of her to say the least.
    This morning when i went out to feed her she wasnt at her nest but standing near the pond. Her back feathers were ruffled and i had a bad feeling something was wrong. I threw the feed in the water and she went in the water but wouldn't eat, she was drinking but woukdnt eat. I walked over to her nest and noticed everything in disarray. Two eggs were cracked open and eaten but it looks like 2 are still in tact.
    What can i do to help her and the unhatched eggs?
    If i move them to a safe location in my garage will she follow? Now that 2 were eaten will she go back to the nest?
    Any ideas or recommendations???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. ktrayn

Nov 23, 2016
    She is just standing on the sidewalk near the nest but not going back to it. :(
    [​IMG]

3. ktrayn

Nov 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Her feathers on her back are still ruffled. Shes gone back to the nest twice but only close by, not in the nest. Shes stays for a few minutes then walks to the sidewalk and back to the pond. Its like she's afraid of whatever that was coming back. Im so afraid she wont go back to them and more afraid whatever it was will come back for a second helping. :( i wish there was something i could do to help her.

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    moving a ducks nest is not easy, sometimes they will take to the new location sometimes not

if you move it you will want to take the nesting materials she used (the leaves feathers everything that you can) and lock her in that area
    like a dog crate, they like privacy, but since she is a feral duck she may not take to it

good luck!

ps- do you know if the eggs are fertilized?

1 person likes this.
  5. ktrayn

Nov 23, 2016
    Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the eggs being fertilized, i know this is a dumb question but how can i tell? Before she started nesting she was always with a group of about 3 drakes so I'm pretty sure they mated with her. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't educated myself on duck breeding behavior so i have no clue really.
    Ive looked outside for a good location but with this being a residential area with mostly fenced yards i don't know where to move it. Id be willing to put her in my garage and leave the side door open but my back yard is fenced and i dont know if she'd be able to maneuver to the pond to eat and drink.

6. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    if there were 3 drakes they probably are
    do you have a big dog kennel
    you could set that up for her and if she takes to if move it after she is in
    and a lot of broodys dont get up every day and she doesnt need to go to a pond, you could give he a baby pool and she'd be happy

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. ktrayn

Nov 23, 2016
    Also, i did notice what appeared to be red blood residue in the eggs that were broken open and eaten, would that be a sign of the veins of the baby duck forming?

I also just checked and shes back in the nest :) yay im so happy she went back. Now i just have to figure out a way to protect them from the predictor returning for the rest.

8. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    probably and i hope she sticks to the nest

9. ktrayn

Nov 23, 2016
    I do have a small dog carrier thats plastic with the metal door. I coukd take the door off and move her nest in there. Do you think its big enough? [​IMG]

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    yes i do
    she may not take to it still

but it may be worth a try if you are willing

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by