help! half hatched egg?

Delene

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Help! I'm totally new to chickens, hatchings, etc.

I have 2 hens with eggs and chicks (about 3days old). Do the eggs all hatch on the same day usually?
I have found an egg with a half hached chicken. I found it laying to one side and cold. (the mother hen in sitting outside the nesting box). At first I thought the chick was dead, but now see there is slight movement and the beak opens and closes slightly. Is this normal? should the chick be making any peep sounds? should i bring it into a warm environment?

AS I said, I'm totally new to all this ..but loving it!
big_smile.png

Delene

Yes, warm him up if it's cold. Mama may have given up on it, but you may be able to "jump start" him, get him warm and fuzzy, and slip him underneath him at night. But take care of this now before he dies. Do you have a spot to do this? A brooder?
And to totally freak you out, in a pinch, I have put them in my bra. No tennis matches, now. He needs to be 95 degrees asap.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with the above post. Nothing aganst you stoopid, lol I love your name BTW, but if Momma left the nest then she know's there may be something wrong with that chick. I'm hoping I'm wrong but most of the time that's why they leave them there.

I really hope it works out for you but I want to prepair you for the worse.
hugs.gif

Thanks for your reply
smile.png

I don't have a brooder... Will keep close to my body for heat then. (did you say bra?
wink.png
)

I've seen them get so flustered with the ones they have, if she's new to all this. If he's made it out of the egg, I would give him a shot at life.

Yup it sounds like he might just need some warmth. If his membrane is dry, try wrapping him with a WARM wet towel (don't cover his breathing hole) and then I would personally wrap that with another warm towel (dry) just to warm him up quickly, and like I said before, don't cover his hole
smile.png
Good luck! I really hope he makes it.

Back
Top Bottom