Help hatch my duckie now!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloomnbeauty, Dec 11, 2008.

1. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I have one lone duck egg that has pipped thru the membrane but not pipped the shell. Should I help him or let mother nature takes its course? Humidity has been rather low because it was in with my chicken eggs.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

How long has the duck been through the membrane? If around 10-12 hours, I would make a small hole in the shell for the duck to breath, then wait overnight and then crack the top of the egg off in the morning. Then take a qtip and wet the membrane, if you see veins in the membrane, continue to wet it until the veins get absorbed by the duck. If their are no veins, slide the membrane off of the duck, and then you can let the duck hatch the rest by itself. I had to do that with some silkies this year, and some call ducks. Good Luck.

Also, if you see any bright red blood, STOP and wait a couple hours before proceeding.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I don't know how long it has been pipped through the membrane. I just got home from a 12 hour shift and checked on the egg. I took it off the turner yesterday. I had two eggs but one looks like it has died. Will leave it in just to make sure.

4. SundownWaterfowl

Next time, hatch chicken and duck eggs seperately. I made the mistake of putting duck eggs under a broody hen, but forgot to mist the eggs and none hatched.

5. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I probably wont be hatching any more duck eggs. I was really trying to get one for a friend that has one lone duck and wants to get him a girlfriend or pal. For what I have spent on eggs that didnt hatch so far I could have bought one already hatched...[​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

lol. I know what you mean. I hope he hatches. [​IMG]

7. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    I did everything wrong, humidity wise and hatched 2 for 2 of duck eggs. Can't hatch chicken eggs no matter what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by