1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help hatched abandoned chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justyn890, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Justyn890

Justyn890 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    So I have 2 Plymouth rock chickens. A hen and a rooster. Well my hen went broody and kept covertly laying nests all over my yard until I couldn't find her spot and she managed to get a cluster of 7. I finally let her keep them since she seemed so determined. She sat on them for 23 days. At 20 days some went missing. Then at 21 days I found 2 dead half hatched Chicks. She had two eggs remaining. The next day one hatched and today she abandoned the other egg and couldn't be convinced to resit, as she was busy chasing her chick around. I went to take the other egg and noticed a small hole. Well after holding the egg to keep it warm until I could decide what to do, it started to hatch. I put it in a basket with a heat light and a towel. It's hatched, but now what do i do?

My chickens free range in my fenced in yard. I've never really restricted them much and they have plenty of safe hiding spots, but never like any coop type things I make for them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Update:chicken is under a light, feathers are fluffing up and it is starting to try to walk around a bit. When can I put it back with its mom? Or can't I?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd try putting it under momma tonight. Adding chicks us usually pretty easy the first 48 hours, and it's best to just slip it under her at night.

4. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    Update: last night I gave the chick back to the hen. There was no sneaking it in, as my rooster has been on 24 /7 guard. I let her hear it peep for a few moments to and when she seems interested and curious I gave the chick back. After a little chatter she finally tucked it under her. I felt so relieved knowing mama was going to do her job. This morning one chick was posting up on the mama hens back while the other stayed tucked under. Now both are running around. Rooster guarding near by and mom never more than a foot away.
    [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm so glad everything is going well!

6. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Thats wonderful! The chick looks plain adorable <3

7. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    What about socialization? My hen is usually really tame, when should I start handling the Chicks so they can become friendly too. Mama hen is not going to like this.... Lol

8. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Right away!

Get mealworms, get near them, and sit down. Put a few on the ground a few feet away from you and let her eat them. She'll call the chicks over. Keep putting them down closer and closer to you. Eventually the hen might even jump up on your leg as you are seated because she notices where they are coming from. But she will call the chicks over. Momma hens ALWAYS let their babies know where the food is! When they get close enough, start picking the babies up. Give them a mealworm or two while you're holding them.

And if you do this regularly, the chicks will associate you with food and slowly come up to you on their own!

9. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    My rooster will try to attack me if I do that. He's mean at feeding time and when I'm near the hen. Should I fence him in a smaller part of my yard? He jumps on my 6ft fence with ease. I'd have to make a whole run just to keep him from my hen.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by