Help Hatching Call Ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Preschool Teacher, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Preschool Teacher

Preschool Teacher In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2018
    Hi I'm Dee and new here and see so many people helping each other. I'm a preschool teacher and we hatch ducks and Call ducks each year while teaching the preschoolers about the life cycles. It's our favorite time of year and most stressful for me too. I currently have 18 Call ducks in my Brines incubator. I have had them at 99.5 and Humidity at 50%. Today is day 25 and I'm in lock down and have Humidity at 80%. These are shipped eggs and have saddle air sacks. It's been 12 hours since the first external pip and no other movement. I'm worried they will need help and don't want to wait to long but also don't want to be impatient and try to soon. Does anyone have more experience at this and can help with some advice? Thank you

2. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :jumpy :welcome :jumpy

3. Sylie

Sylie Songster

May 26, 2014
    SE Iowa
    Unfortunately I have never incubated eggs so I'm not exactly sure how to help but I wanted to welcome you to our flock and assure you that someone will give you a useful answer very soon. The people here are amazing. :frow :welcome

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Teila, KikisGirls, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  5. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    12 hours is fine. I had one duck take 36 hours from pip to zip. These things take a little more time with duckies. Best to not intervene unless as a last resort.

Teila, KikisGirls, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  6. Preschool Teacher

Preschool Teacher In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2018
    Thank you

7. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Don't worry, those little guys will be out before you know it! I remember when my last duck hatched on day 30 (2 days after the others) I was so worried something was wrong but all was fine.

8. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow Welcome!

Happy to have you here with us!
    Patience grasshopper! Ducks seem to rest longer than most birds after pipping. Hope you have an excellent hatch!:jumpy

9. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC.

I do a fair bit of hatching but never done ducks. I wouldn’t worry if my chicks hadn’t zipped in 12 hours though. Best of luck with your hatch :thumbsup

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Welcome! :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

Teila likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: