HELP! hatching duckling question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovelyducklings, Sep 26, 2015.

1. lovelyducklings

lovelyducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    Hazel has been rocking back and forth for hours so I chipped away a piece of the shell and noticed that the membrane was yellow, what do I do? I quickly placed her back in.

2. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]

she is pecking at it but it's not ripping

3. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    When the membrane starts going more tan like that, it means it is drying out and you need to raise the humidity. If you want you can dab a little bit of warm water on that spot with a q-tip to moisten the membrane, then raise the humidity in the incubator and don't open it anymore. Each time you open the incubator you will lose alot of humidity in there and the membrane can dry out and make it more difficult for them to hatch.

What day of incubation is this egg on? Ducklings take a long time to hatch, about two days for the full process. There is no rushing it and if you help them before they are ready to hatch, you can actually kill them. So just take a deep breath and give this guy some more time. They can start to rock days before they are ready to hatch.

5. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    I put them in the incubator on aug 28 so they're on day 31. they were supposed to hatch Friday. I have another egg that looks yellow/tan and the membrane looks dry, when will I know that I should intervene? and humidity is at 75-80.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG] I helped her more because she looks shrink wrapped

7. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, can you see any blood vessels in that clear membrane that is around her? If the blood vessels in that membrane have disappeared (the blood has drained from them), then she is ready to hatch. But if you still see blood vessels with blood in them in that membrane, she is not ready and you shouldn't help anymore just yet. She could bleed out if one of those vessels break, and her yolk sac will not be absorbed yet if there is still blood in those vessels, either. That is the indicator of when they are actually ready to come out. Keep us updated, and good luck!

8. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    yes I do see blood vessels, and okay I'll leave her to finsish it. will she still be able to absorb her yolk like this? @Orca5094

9. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    hazel hatched at 5:00pm :)

10. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    YAY!!! Congrats! Where's the pic? We must see a pic. ^-^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by