HELP HATCHING EMERGENCY! - Think it passed on :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by firedove, May 8, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Sorry for the yelling but this is urgent and I can't get ahold of my chicken mentor. I have a chick that is zipped that the other already hatched chicks kept climbing on. I took out the hatched chicks that were on top of it and discovered that it's little beak has blood coming from both nostrils. I thought it was dead but just noticed a minute ago that it is still breathing. Is there anything I can do for it???

Please help! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    I would say, you already did it. Leave the bator closed and let it do what it will

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Just let him rest. If he's going to make it he has to be warm and allowed simply to rest. It might have been something simple. It's actually normal and useful to have previously hatched chicks in there playing bumper cars.

It's unlikely he was injured by his hatch mates. People hatch up to a 100 in one hatch tray, all bashing and crashing and leave them for a full 24 hours and they don't hurt one another. The sound,motion and stimulation can increase %'s in a hatch.

Bumper eggs/chicks is generally a safe and normal occurance.

4. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I don't see the little one breathing anymore [​IMG] It was my only EE egg to pip so far. There is a new little wrecker in there now as chick #5 just hatched. I suppose I should be happy with the ones I have for now and not be so sad about the ones lost.

As a total aside, walkswithdog, what in the heck is a "normal" number of turkeys and chickens?

5. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    It's what we would call over extensive. [​IMG]

Sorry about your little one. You do have to learn that you appreciate the ones you have and don't dwell on the ones that didn't make it.

6. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I thought a "normal" number of chickens was one that increased steadily or even sharply over time, [​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Yeah well ... you pegged it. By Monday I'll have about oh - not counting mind you - sixty chicks or poults in brooders?

But since I stopped counting I feel so much better.

Perfectly normal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    [​IMG] , I'm only up to 38 total chickens right at the moment, hatching more all the time. At least my location limits my keepers, I can only keep 24 adult chickens. The rest I sell to other people to get them addicted too [​IMG] I had 30 chicks not so long ago. Sold 15, got 8 more. 17 eggs in the bator, 5 hatched so far and a few other pips, it's just day 21 now. I do think I lost that EE chick though. No more bubbling nostrils.

9. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    It probably was unrelated to being jostled. It was probably developmental.

I'm going to end up taking a large number of these to the swap and auctions but I wanted CHOICES.

I need to replace my original trio of turkeys because these were not tame when I got them as near adults. Over 20 poults really was something of an accident, kind of.

I'm working on partridge rocks so the next generations have to be laid, hatched, grown and culled.

Then well there were other things that just came up, BBS Rock eggs, sizzle egg testing (when I needed to test hatch the homemade bator anyway), and well, so on.

Make adjustments and improvements to a bator? Test hatch.

Delaware eggs available? Oh gotta try those.

Oddly it keeps happening like that.

10. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I'm going to try to convince DH to let me do one more hatch after this before I take a break. There are swaps in June that I would like to have chicks for and I really want to hatch some of my Mille's eggs now that she is laying. Interested to see what you get when you cross a Mille hen with a SLW roo!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by