Help-hatching question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wadek2008, Mar 26, 2009.

1. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    So I have one dry duckling, one wet one, and one I can see in the shell breathing but he hasnt come out yet. They started pipping around 10 o clock last night and its 6 PM now. I have 14 eggs and it looks like all but 2 have pipped. So question is...when should I open it? When half of them hatch? In a few hours? I really want the others ones to have a chance to hatch fine but I'm on the edge of my seat wanting to snatch them out. Humidity's only at 59%. When I open it, should I put more water in it? At what point should I try to open up the other eggs if they haven't hatched?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. mawark

mawark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Last set of duck eggs I hatched it took anywhere from 18 to 30 hours from pip to hatch

3. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    Once you open it you stand to ruin the rest who haven't hatched because you have changed the climate. My instructions say don't open incubator until the hatch is complete. So don't open it until you are ready to give up on the rest of the eggs!

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    (For chicks but might be similar for ducklings)
    Somewhere else in the same instructions it says "Chicks may be removed 24 hours after they start to hatch. Extremely wet chicks should be left in the incubator to dry. If they don't dry in eight or more hours, remove them to a brooder or heat lamp, with temperatures of 95F to 100F.
    Plan to remove chicks once a day, as every time incubator is opened, warm moist air escapes. Avoid chilling of wet chicks.
    Some chicks may be late in hatching, so you can leave remaining unhatched eggs up to 2 days longer."
    If/when you open it I would put more warm water in, because humidity is important to the hatch. (If you can someone added water through a straw through a top vent without opening the incubator at all)

5. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    So I'm kind of afraid to open it now. I have three out and that same duckling laying in the egg. I hope he's just resting. If they started pipping at 10 last night and I open it at around 5 tomorrow when I get home and get all the ducklings out, can I start helping my other ducklings? Or will it be too late? The other ducklings (already hatched) will be fine in there until tomorrow at 5, right? Thats 31 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by