Help...hatching question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by launius, Aug 23, 2013.

1. launius

launius Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Crossett, Arkansas
    I have two duck eggs that seem to be in a race to see who will hatch first. Yesterday was Hatch Day and both externally pipped quickly and started zipping. Both are very talkative and were making good progress but one has stalled. It has somehow managed to get its entire beak through a hole in the shell but it has only zipped about a third of the way. I have watched open its mouth completely and do a yawn of sorts. It is going through the motion like it is trying to chop away at the shell but since its beak is outside the shell, it is only air. The other duckling is still balled up and zipping. My question is has anyone else experienced this and will the duck be able to hatch itself or will it need assistance? I tried to take a picture but it is not very clear because its through the viewing pane if my incubator.
    [​IMG]

Right now the duckling is pretty strong and moving and talking a lot so I am letting him be overnight to see if he can make anymore progress but he has been stalled in the same spot for about 10 hrs now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I would leave it like that for a few hours and see if it makes progress by itself. If it doesn't and shows signs of being in trouble, zip open a bit more of the shell for it so it can manoeuvre and complete the hatch on it's own.

3. launius

launius Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Crossett, Arkansas
    I waited for 24 hours and it was still stuck in the same spot. I pulled just a couple of pieces of tiny pieces off and put it back. Within a few minutes it had kicked itself free!
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by