1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Hatching questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peaky, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    One of my 7 eggs barely broke the egg 15 hours ago. I can hear ir peeping and it moves but there has been barely any progress since. How long should I leave without assisting?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Is it on its side to hatch? If so it can take 12 to 24 hours from pip to zip....They hatch from the pip hole counter clockwise, meaning upwards around the air cell of the egg..Hatching tires out the Chicks...:)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    24 hours. Unless there are signs of distress, usually the reason there is no progression is because they are not ready. The vascular system between chick and egg has not shut down. Assisting before this happens can cause bleed out in the chicks.

4. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Update: the first chic finally chirped its way out and is healthy and happy. She stayed in baton for 12 hours then transferred to brooder. The second chic was born with a problem and only lived 4 hours. She seemed to have problems from the time she pipped. Was able to make a hole with her beak but wasn't able to peck around the entire egg to break it apart. The other 5 eggs I believe are not going to hatch for whatever reason. So for my first time I hatched 1 out of 7 with a 2 to 3 hour electrical outage st 10 days. I'm grateful for one.... her name is Lucky Miracle. I'll include a picture of her tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by