HELP!! Hatching questions!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redbuffalo, Apr 18, 2009.

1. redbuffalo

redbuffalo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    All right, I have 6 out of my 11 Araucana chicks hatched. All healthy and chirping madly so far. My first hatched chick has already earned the nickname of Hannibal Pecter, the pyschopathic face peeker as he is running around peeking all of the other chicks in the process of hatching in the face. Quite the way to great the world, NOT! Hannibal is pretty dry. Should I remove him/her to solitary brooder confinement?? I also have another little guy who has broke through and is hanging his beak out. He is alive and chirping but is just hanging out and has been since about 2am with no additional progress? Its now 4pm here. Should I give him a little help zipping? Thanks in advance for any advice:)
    Tracy

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh Lordy get Hannibel out of that incubator! He could put an eye out!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Go ahead and take Hannibal out of the bator, but do it quickly so you don't let to much humidity out. That certainly won't help matters with the chick that has been trying to hatch since 2 this morning.

Does the membrane look dried onto the chick that has been trying to hatch?

4. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:To first Q: I just took 2 of mine out and put in brooder..

2nd Q:
    I had one chick earlier this year that way and helped it out (momma hen leaving it in nest after most had hatched), ..

Just be very CAREFUL .. You'll see blood, but if it's to much stop and let the chick grow a few hours and if it's still not able to get out, then pull a little more crap off of it.. The way I did it..
    You will have to eyeball it carefully to see how it's doing and what you are doing to help or harm it.

Mine is doing fine a little over 2 weeks old now running with the pack of 8..

5. redbuffalo

Feb 22, 2009
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    The humidity is at 73% with the membrane looking a little dry.

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would go ahead and watch it closely until it's time for bed and if you feel certain it is stuck and needs help, then help it. You will need to get a warm water soaked paper towel and wrap the egg up in it to loosen the dried membrane being very careful to not get any water in or near the chicks beak or it will drown. Then very carefully peel small pieces of shell away. If you see blood then stop immediately. The chick isn't ready to hatch in this case. Also, if you see any yolk you need to stop so the chick can finish absorbing it.

7. redbuffalo

Feb 22, 2009
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Well, I have 9 bouncing, beautifully healthy baby chicks out of 12. Three did not hatch. I guess not too bad for my first hatch. Thank you everyone for you advice and help:)

Tracy

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You had a great hatch!

Congratulations and good job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by