Help hatching Silkies in a Brisnea Octagon

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrsfoote, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Hi so I 'm having a bit of a problem. I have 2 incubators both with circulated air one is a Hovabator 1602 and the hatcher is Brisnea Octagon 20. So I'm putting the eggs into the brisnea for lockdown.

So I had 7 eggs make it to lockdown....and come hatch day no pips I had to chirping so I made a pip hole....the others no sound no tapping I made a pip hole to find 5 fully formed dead chicks.

I need help trying to figure out what is going on I was told silkies have tougher shells that I need to keep my humidity higher so its at about 70-75%

Chicks aren't sticky and they aren't shrink wrapping...I'm getting really discouraged trying to hatch silkies out.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm sorry, I wish I could help, but I hav enever hatched silkies. What was the thermometer reading?

3. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    the thermometer is reading fine 100 and 75 %

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Oh, wait, I just read the Hovabator is the incubator, the Brinsea is the hatcher? I lean towards the Hovabator being the bad boy here.

5. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Brisnea is hatcher

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never treated silkies or bantie eggs any different than regular eggs when it comes to hatching them.

If this is a reoccurring silkie issue, the breeders might be lacking something in their diet leading to weak chicks, or your thermometer might be off.

7. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    My thermometers are calibrated this is happening from multiple batches of eggs from different breeders.

8. 5acrehome

5acrehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    reduce your humidity to 35-45% until day 18 they sound like they might be drowning in fluids when they try and hatch. some of the water naturally evaporates during the incubation; the extra humdity is only for the hatch you don't want them to have their air pocket fill with water.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    I'd put them in the Brinsea the whole time. Don't swap. Make sure the Brinsea is sterilized and then aired/sunned out before setting. Keep them upright the whole time, and hatch them upright in the rails. 70% should be fine for hatching.

10. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Quote:Yea that's what I'm doing in the incbubator just the hatcher is at that humidity level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by