1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help hatching turkey eggs.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CRYSTALCREEKFARM, Apr 26, 2009.

1. CRYSTALCREEKFARM

CRYSTALCREEKFARM New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    Montrose
    I have turkey eggs, and chicken eggs in a little giant incubator the chickens are starting to peep but no results on turkey eggs, and I had one that was due to hatch on 4/22 I candeled them their is something in them.also I am having difficult time keeping the moisture at 60% I have a barometer in their and it will stay around 40% so Ive been spraying the eggs a couple times a day to try to get it to 60%. would appreciate any advice, or info.one chick hatched so far.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Can't help sorry thou I will bump you

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:how many days are you on for the turkeys?

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    At 40 % they will have a hard time pipping the shell, so that might the first biggest thing. They need to be 60-70% during the hatching period. Also how many days are you on the turkey eggs ?? They take longer then chickens do one week longer.

Those cheap Styrofoam inc. are hard to get good hatching rates for turkeys in.

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that's what i was wondering, if they are only three weeks along.

and i second the humidity. they have strong shells.

6. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Fold a couple of washcloths into squares and place one folded cloth under each vent hole. You can use a small funnel to keep the cloths wet with warm water and you will get enough humidity without opening the incubator.

7. CRYSTALCREEKFARM

CRYSTALCREEKFARM New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    Montrose
    I am new to it so thinking like a newbee I was placing the eggs on their they days the hen laid them. so none are due to hatch the same day's.some has been in since 4/20/09.chicks been hatching have 6 so far 14 more to hatch.

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:okay, that was probably what caused a little confusion for you. [​IMG]

next time, try saving eggs for one week and then incubate. you'll feel less stress and enjoy it more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by