Help hatching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesus freak, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I have a chick that had a dry membrane and wasnt moving around so I helped it by zipping around the egg and I put a wet warm paper towel around it but know its not trying to get out should I try and remove it from the egg?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Hello?

3. Kelownachickens

Kelownachickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I have the same question! I can't see how it would hurt...mine is peeping out of the hole, but it does look dry, and has been that way for about 12hours.

4. Chefswifey

Chefswifey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    if it looks dry wrap it in a warm moist paper towel...you can also finger a couple drops onto the visible membrane...just make sure you don't get it in the chick's nostril's...once you start unzipping the chick you'll probably end up having to hatch it...give it a couple more hours watching for attempts before unzipping it yourself... be careful! if you see blood or yolk re-wrap in towel and put back in bator... if you see the umbilical cord attached to tummy still make sure you don't detach from belly(it will bleed out!!), be prepared with scissors to cut umbilical as close to shell as possible..it'll fall off on its own :)... did your egg pip on its own first though? what incubation date are you on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by