help! have a sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audacity2233, Jul 7, 2010.

1. audacity2233

audacity2233 New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with my chicks. I went to let my chicks out this morning and one of my hens was barely standing. It keeps opening her mouth and making a funny sound like she cant breathe and I have noticed some on them have runny noses and just thought it was the weather. I would really appreciate if someone might have a clue what my hen has and what I can do to help her. [​IMG] I found this website from google and this is cool to be able to learn and talk with others like me!!![​IMG]

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Hi,

Have you felt the crop area to see if it is bulging and hard or soft and squishy?

Also, how old and what breed?

What do they eat?

3. audacity2233

audacity2233 New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    I am definitely new at this best I can tell the crop is hard. She feels so boney. The hen is a Bar Rock and and they are 10 weeks old. I bought some Aureomycin and some gatorade, but I am having to give it to her. Earlier today she was eating on her own. I feed them crushed corn.

4. maasantos

maasantos New Egg

Jun 9, 2010
    chepachet
    i am

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    They will need some grit (granite) to grind up the corn.

6. audacity2233

audacity2233 New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    I gave them some grit to help with the corn. I lost my sick hen, but the rest are doin good. After u asked me about the crop I googled it and 3 of my hens smell real sour so I gave them some mineral oil, thats what I heard to give them. Thank u for the help:) How old are u hens. I cant wait for mine to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by