HELP, Have I hurt my chick???

SMilano

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Pierson, FL
Yesterday I bought 3 silkie chicks from a man who to me seemed a bit shady, but the chicks were cute and i wanted to save them, so i got the tiniest chick i have ever seen and two others. being a new chicken mom, i have 7 wk olds, 4 3 wk old marans, and now these guys. i new to check for pasty but, and the tiniest one, willow, didnt have pasty butt, she had cement butt!!! even tho she appeared to be eating and drinking and getting along well with the others, the cement ball appeared to be covering her clochea, or whatever it is, her hole. so i used running warm water and soap and worked on it for several minutes to get it off of the skin and then to remove from the feathers. i succeeded, but there was a little red object protruding from the hole and it had a tiny but of bleeding around it. is this a male penis? did i hurt my little guy? he is chirping constantly and its still seeping tiny bits of blood. i used a cotton ball and smeared a little antiobiotic ointment over it, being sure not to occlude it with ointment, but figured it needed something...as i am a nurse. so any advice would be much appreciated, i love this little creature and want to help it.

Is it's vent turned a little inside out (prolapsed vent)? If so, you can push it back in gently. If you can put a picture of "the thing" up here it would help us, help you.

Okay...it looks like what one of my chicks had. If I am seeing it right, it looks like it is below the vent. If it is below the vent, it's probably yolk that has not been absorbed. So all you need to do is to put some neosporin or antibiotic ointment on it an let it be. It will dry up and turn into a little scab. Just watch for other chicks pecking at it so you can move him. Your chick will most likely be perfectly fine in a week, maybe two. I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Good Luck!!

you mean like an umbilical cord? oh wow, what a relief. it is just a tiny little thing. thanks so much everyone for your help!

Yep, kind of like an umbilical cord. Never thought of it like that, good reference! You're very welcome for the help
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom