Help! Have my Mallards been abandoned?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bleuetteduck, Aug 28, 2016.

1. bleuetteduck

bleuetteduck New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    Hi!
    I'm new. I had a wild Mallard family of ducks consisting of a mom and two babies take up residence on my pool about three weeks ago. The babies weren't newly hatched. Maybe a couple of weeks old? I don't know. They have feathers but are a ways from flying. We had a mom raise her ducks on our pool a couple of years ago and she left them about a week before they took flight. This mom has left for a few hours, and last week she was gone overnight but returned the next morning. Now she's been gone two nights and hasn't returned. Maybe she will??? Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I'm worried that the ducks won't learn to fly. I've tried to find info about this but can't! I'd appreciate whatever you can tell. Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not sure if this is normal behavior for wild Mallards but was curious to know if the ducklings can get out of the pool to forage? If so they will probably hang around your pool till they take flight they have a built in genetic system that tells them everything they need to know to survive. Very sweet of you to be concerned and let them stay.

Welcome to BYC @bleuetteduck

3. bleuetteduck

bleuetteduck New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    Miss Lydia,
    They are big enough -almost all feathered but wings still developing- to hop in and out of the water. The pool service is used to ducks in the neighborhood, it seems, and knows how to work around them. We keep the water level high enough to make exiting the pool easy. We have wall vines on the walls enclosing the pool, which I hose down to release bugs and also supplement their diet with a scratch and duck raiser feed our local farm store sold me. The yard is safe and I did put a float in the pool for them to ride and sleep on. I have not tamed them at all. I hope this is right. I've Googled endlessly.
    Thank you so much for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by