1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Have they lost enough moisture?!?!? EDIT: pics added!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 16, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Everyone says that eggs need to lose enough moisture before they hatch. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!? How do i check it? How do i change it? HELP!!

PICS!!
    These are pics of 4 eggs out of 14 that we have in the bator. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THESE AIR CELLS ARE GOOD!!! They are on day 16.
    Sorry, the pics arent the best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You'll know by candling the eggs and seeing the air sac growing to sufficient size by day 18. It will get to be 1/4 to 1/3 the egg size. I'm an advocate of a dry hatch and many here will tell you it's what they do. Traditional humidity states 60% to day 18 then up to 80%, I tried this and am convinced the chicks drowned in those conditions. A dry hatch would be running 30 to 40% humidity to day 18 then up to 60%.

Hope that helps and do a search for previous threads using "dry hatch" as key word.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Chicken eggs need to lose about 13% of their starting weight by the time they reach lockdown. You get them to the right weight by either raising or lowering the humidity to get them to lose weight slower or faster as required. If you haven't been weighing yours from the start, of course, this information is useless to you mid-incubation! You can check moisture loss by candling and looking at the air cell, as it is supposed to grow bigger throughout the incubation. I don't have a copy of the diagram to post up for you, but I'm sure someone else will do it...

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    My air cells are fairly large and im on day 16.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    [​IMG]
    Here's the diagram. I just lifted it from another thread about humidity I commented on today...

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ahh! Mine look like day 7!! What do i do!!?!?!??!!?! [​IMG]

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    You are on day 16 with air cells the size of day 7. OY.
    First, take all water out of the incubator to help dry them out.
    You may want to consider delaying lockdown until day 20 or if you can check the eggs frequently, delay until you see the first pip.
    I think I read something by Pete on quick methods to reduce moisture in the egg. Maybe he will pop in and give you some ideas.

8. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    I would candle them and use a pencil or marker and mark your air cells. What is your humidity at now? Did you calibrate your hygrometer? Still air incubator or forced air? What is the Temp? What type of thermometer? Calibrated?

With my last hatch I noticed on day 19 is when they lost alot of fluid and the air cell dipped a lot. Once they internally pipped then watch for the external pip, then go into lockdown 70%. I would keep them in the incubator with a humidity no lower than 40%.

BYC member pete55, look on his BYC page and he has all of his links stickied. Here is his latest thread and it is now stickied

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7493364#p7493364

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    My hygrometer is calibrated. My humidity has been from 40-50%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by