HELP HAWK ATTACK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freemare, Mar 29, 2017.

1. freemare

freemare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    I have a chick that was badly hurt from a hawk. Her skin is ripped open and you can see the muscle. WHAT DO I DO. HELP. I dont want her to die. I have under a heat lamp and wiped her down with some warm water. She is around 3 weeks old.

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    You should take her to a vet
    I hope she feels better :(

3. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    If vet isn't an option throughly clean the wound, put neosporin in the cut. Some how securely cover it up(tie old t-shirt around her, fairly tight). Make sure she is secluded from the flock, and that she can get out of the heat you have her under. Supply an array of food and clean water with chick electrolytes in it. Then if you think the cut is bad enough I would recommend going to tractor supply or another feed store and getting some strong oral or injectable anti-biotics.

Post pictures as well so we can assist you.

4. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    I called around to see if there was a vet that works on chickens. None. I have put some antibiotics on the wound and covered it up best I could. I will try to get some pictures. I have her sitting in my lab now in a towel. She seems a little better. I hope she wont die.

5. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    Here is a picture. It looks so bad. The little bit that is hanging down is a bit of fat. She seems better now.

[​IMG]

6. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Ohhh that looks worse then I thought, I imagined it on a fully grown bird.

Is he/she still walking around and moving?

Try feeding some yogurt to supply some probiotics and some cooked egg for protein.

7. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    On the top posted I put she was around 3 weeks. i would have been better if she was a big bird. She was trying to walk. She does chirp sometimes. She is worse now, I dont think she will make it.

8. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Oh I'm really sorry
    Bandages and anti-bacterial stuff is probably a good place to start. You can do some research in the meantime, and make the chick comfortable. Good luck

9. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    I did go to tractor supply and got something called EMT. So i hope it helps. I have her on a towel with a badge around her. She is so weak.

10. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    If it doesn't look like she is going to make it, it is better to just put her out of her misery. You could try some sugar/salt water mixture to give her a boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by